View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Interesting thing is that in that game, Montero also got his first ML strikeout (against Derek Jeter). After the strikeout was called the ball was tossed around the infield until it got to David Wright, who realized its significance and had it put aside for Montero.

Don't know if there is a protocol or custom for pitchers' first-pitch-in-the-majors baseballs like there is for players-first-hit-in-the-majors balls. For example, in the case of Matt Harvey's ML debut, the "first pitch" ball was used for at least his first four pitches in the bigs, including his first strikeout. After that first K the catcher either tossed it to one of the players (where it might have been thrown around the infield before being returned to Harvey) or the batboy (in which case the ball was taken out of play and a new one used) - the SNY video footage doesn't indicate which, and I don't believe the broadcasters made any mention of it. (Harvey got his first hit in that game, and the ball definitely was put aside for him.)
Growing up one my best friend's dad (Roger Holt) was our baseball coach. He played in a couple games for the Yankees in 1980 and had 1 career hit. There was nothing cooler than the first time I saw that ball. Coach Holt is a very quiet guy and I have never heard him bring up playing professional baseball unless he is directly asked about it.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.