View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
No worries Brian!

I didn't want you or anyone else thinking that I had anything against the National, or any big show in any hobby. And it usually takes a lot to really bother me. (Usually, I've had my moments....)

One thing I've long thought that card/memorabilia shows are missing is displays. While the demographic certainly skews older, the huge stamp shows and many small ones all have displays that show a particular aspect of collecting. At most shows they're competitive, with prizes to be had for having a display that meets certain goals and explains something really well.

The ones at the international stamp show were amazing, and would have been worth going just to see them even if I didn't buy anything.
I did get a few things though, and a bit of an education on why the really big dealers are really big. I found one stamp I needed at the booth of one of the very big dealers. Like he had a booth he'd paid I think somewhere into the 6 figures for. Around 20x 30 ft, all locking cabinets surrounded by display cases, with usually 3-4 stamps in a 4 foot long case. The "cheap" ones were 5-6000 And some of them were over 100,000. The very attentive employee asked if he could help me, and I told him I didn't think he had anything I needed that I could also afford but I was enjoying the booth. He simply said "well, you should try us, we have stamps for all budgets" So I said I needed an O58s, and he went into a cabinet and brought out a small box saying "we have a few in here" ....Yes, about 10 copies of something I'd looked for a nice one at a nice price for maybe a year and a half. All priced very reasonably. Totally pleasant experience, and the guy dealing with regular sales over 10K made my $50 buy seem just as important. The other guy he helped while I picked out which one I wanted had selected about 15K of stuff while I was standing next to him. and was still looking after I'd finished!

The GBSCC show had a few displays one year, but it didn't go any farther than that.

Steve B
Thanks, Steve. You are a terrific storyteller. I am glad that stamp dealer treated you with dignity and respect, as he should. Good for business. Everyone gets their turn in order, just as the post office.

Besides, you never know who you're dealing with. Treating someone well for a minor purchase may some day lead to a major purchase, or, working with them to sell your collection. All too many dealers, from all sorts of hobbies, disrespect the small guy.

My other hobby is model car collecting. I pretty much only deal with Replicarz out of Vermont. They have humbled me time after time with their kindness and professional courtesy. Their customer service rating is AAA, with none higher.

Have a swell day, Steve. ---Brian Powell