View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 02:27 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I also knew Goodwin (never had the guts to call him Goodie, like his wives (2, but serially ) . Yes, that store was floor-to-ceiling with books and periodicals of all sorts. In my teens I was already somewhat steeped in prewar...public library, imagine that! (Goodwin also had rented garages packed to the hilt in the surrounding neighborhood of his store). So I would ask for the more "known" players, but eventually he began to bring out others and talk to me a little bit about them. He cared nothing about tobacco backs (neither did I, then, jiust thought they looked "neat") and it ended up - decades later after I re-entered the hobby about a decade ago - that he had shoved upon me a really nice T206 Duffy Red Hindu; graded highest ever for any TPG and sold a few years back with B&L.

Now, eventually he moved his residence about a 2-minute bike ride from my own house in the San Fernando Valley! One summer (this is late Sixties) I spent about a month there sorting postwar (not vintage then)). At one point I came across The '52T Mick. I already it knew what they were going for (mid-upper $30s) and couldn't pull the trigger on it!

Later on in the Seventies when I had moved to SF he called my Mom and asked for my address. Was nice to get a letter from him. He was always a prolific correspondent due to his business. He reported that he had sold everything he had in his inventory to the University of Notre Dame which at that time gave them the largest sports library anywhere. Maybe still does. I don't know about the Library of Congress.

Last edited by Paul S; 08-27-2017 at 02:33 PM.