View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Are Pre-War Baseball Cards "Solid" Investments?

Posted By: DJ

Well said Adam and I agree.

I have always thought (and rightfully so) that anything that continues to appreciate in value as an investment and just because you are able to handle and enjoy this limited piece of cardboard, makes it a bonus. Are there better investments? Sure, but there are A LOT worse.

As far as vintage autographs go as an investment, this is one area I would clearly stay away from. The truth of the matter is that this type of investment is way riddled in fraud (kind of like that Enron stock, huh) and easily manufactured. There is way too much trust in certain legitimate authenticators and doesn't it seem a tad scary how many amazing pieces are introduced in every new catalog? I think there are some brilliant forgers out there and there should be caution when purchasing anything, no matter who says the item is good.

If you have a cherry Babe Ruth signature (that is authenticated), the prices seem to be all over the place as for some reason, they simply aren't as rare as they were about fifteen years ago. I have seen one ball sell for $16,000 and one in similar condition fetch $8,000 over the past six months.

DJ