Thread: January Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Matt

Thanks, MBM. I have always sparked to that yellow Ruth. It's not surprising that's the one of the four that most chase; I even showed my kids all four and asked what picture they liked, and it was the #53 and #144--just sheer raw, universal, aesthetic appeal on those I guess. To my eye, that is a card that really benefits from chunky, unworn borders; many of the borders are thin from age or just poor centering. And tilt is also a problem. Maybe the main issue with so many examples is the image clarity and brightness. It can be unfocused, and also look dingy. I'm much less about corners on that card for these reasons.

Cruising ebay late last night and could not pass up this beauty. Old flip, too, which I always find kinda cool. I simply cannot resist centered classics.

The more I read about Paige, the more I realize what an amazing place he holds in baseball-- and baseball cards. Not only is he the subject of what most have dubbed "the single hardest/toughest Post War card to acquire," but this guy...

1. Pitched well in his late 40's, and even once at age 59 against the Sox!

2. Was truly-- like Ruth-- a legend while living. 72,000 people stormed in to watch his MLB starts. He was like a rockstar when he played.

3. He has the terribly tragic aspect of never pitching against the white stars of his day, and no full, complete record of his stats.

4. Just as Ruth lauded Shoeless Joe, so did a great-- in DiMaggio-- call Paige the best he ever faced. Who knows what he would have done in his prime in MLB, after posting a 2.48 in his 40's!

Here's a cool article I found on him for anyone interested:

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...-satchel-paige

Last edited by MattyC; 01-27-2014 at 09:06 AM.