View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 05:35 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Dubuque Iowa baseball photo find:

I once owned a sports card shop directly across the street from an Antique Mall. One day I went to the Mall and began my browsing, the first booth located to the very right when one walked inside, sat an old antique wood dresser with its very top drawer opened. I peeked inside and saw a small stack of say ten old Cabinet photos. One happened to be a baseball team photo of nine players, the Cabinet photo wasn't priced so I walk over to the proprietor, and left as the new owner.

A year later or so I'm looking through the old version THE OFFICIAL ENCYCLOPEDIA of BASEBALL page 392 there it shows Ted Sullivan organizing the Northwestern League consisting of his baseball team in Dubuque Iowa. Thinking back I thought the Cabinet photo I purchased earlier was stamped DUBUQUE.

It took me a couple months or so to find the photo. After searching awhile I thought may be it got thrown away or something? When I did finally find it, yes it's stamped DUBUQUE, hence started my quest and research. The St Louis Antique dealer had already left the Mall---I am compiling my revised evidence for SABR (wish I had bought all the other family photos in the stack, some may have belonged to the baseball photo history?)---- until cheers!