View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Ask the Standard Catalog . . .

Posted By: Eric

Hello Mr. Lemke,

Thank you for creating this post, I've had a couple ideas on my mind that I thought to be suitable for the SCD. Alike many other collectors on this board, I only collect pre-1950 material. With that in mind, I've always wished that the SCD were broken down into the following sections: pre-1950, and 1950-present.

I know this may create a rather small section in the front of the book, but it seems to me like a natural break in time (in terms of cards). I've always viewed the entry of Topps onto the market as an entirely new age of baseball card collecting. Plus, I think most vintage card collectors stay under the timeframe of the 1950's.

One other thought I had, was to merge major and minor league sets together. I can't especially speak to how this would work in a post-1950 section, but as far as the pre-1950 section, it would make perfect sense. Most vintage collectors collect both major and minor league cards, whereas modern card collectors are probably more decisive about which to collect.

Eric Eichelkraut