View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Oldtix- thanks for your input regarding my yankees stub...very interesting research (what website did you find this out?)...i am, however, a bit unclear why the doubleheader the day before the 27th game, eliminates it from being a 1919 stub, same goes for 1920...can you further elaborate? what am i missing here?

thx!
Baseballreference.com is the particular website I used for this...they list every game of a given season in sequential order.

The info about the prior day's DH in 1919 really didn't have anything to do with the conclusion...it probably should have been edited out. Whether the Yankees printed separate tickets for game 25 and game 26 (the DH games) wouldn't change the need to print one for game 27. The point of my question...and the basis for my conclusion that 1920 was eliminated...was that a club would NOT have printed a second game ticket.

Before night games started in 1935, I don't think fans attending doubleheaders were required to leave the stadium after the first game. Without that requirement, there's no way to know which fans only purchased a game one ticket in order to evict them before game two. I think that a fan wishing to attend the second game (only) would have been sold the "game one" ticket at the ticket office, saving the club printing costs. If that logic is correct, there would be no printed "game two" tickets for pre-1935 doubleheaders (later twi-nights were handled differently, of course). Did fans pay double price for doubleheaders? I don't know.

We should be able to eliminate any year in which either game 27 was the back-half of a doubleheader...and that was the case in 1920. If the teams did print separate tickets for game two, my theory is all wet.

And now: "Upon further review..."

I was relying on my computerized inventory of my own Yankees Polo Grounds ticket. Lo and behold, I pulled it out and it's for game 34, not 31...oops. That puts 1919 back into play as a possibility for your ticket. My ticket could be 1919, 1920, 1921 or 1922...all single games. Damn...the Babe didn't go yard in any of them!