View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Designated Hitter Compromise

This has bothered me for 30+ years and no doubt will continue to bother me. Why do the National and American Leagues have a different set of rules, specifically the designated hitter. I have to admit that there are valid arguments for both camps.

Pitchers are not as adept at hitting as they used to be, because the minor league and college structure uses the DH exclusively, I think. Watching some pitchers strike out 80% of the time is not too exciting.

But managing that spot in the order in the National League is interesting, with double switches, taking a pitcher out of the game early to get a bat in that position for offense, etc.

But I contend that both are flawed, a pitcher that can't hit and a hitter that can't field (or doesn't have too).

A solution, probably just as "radical" as the designated hitter was in the day, would eliminate both flaws.

Why not eliminate both the designated hitter and the ninth spot in the batter order. In other words eight batters bat and one pitcher pitches. No lame hitting pitchers and no designated hitter.

Bring on the tomatoes, I realize this would create other problems. The perfect game would require the pitcher to face batters a fourth time in the ninth inning. The designated hitters union would be eliminated and who knows what else.

But at least the two leagues and all of baseball could play by the same rules.
Think about it.

I'm a purist and never liked the DH in the first place. But going back to NL style ball in all leagues ain't going to happen.

With this compromise, at least everyone would be playing the same game.
Food for thought and something for your water to wash down.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.