View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Dan Bretta

I usually have 200-300 auctions going at any time, it is very common for bidders to continue bidding incrementally until they top the high bid. I know none of these people doing this. I believe it started happening much more when ebay changed their bidding system to just press a button to leave another bid instead of having to actually enter a number and then bid again.

I actually turned ebay notifications on my phone off because of bidders like this. My phone would start dinging constantly.

Recently I bought a huge collection of 1:18 scale diecast cars and have been listing them about 50 per day every day this month and noticed a ton of bid retractions from the same suspects. I notified a couple of them to ask them why they were retracting so many bids and one guy said that I keep listing more desirable cars and he has a limited budget. Must not be too limited though because he has spent nearly $3000 with me this month. Another guy answered back "Sorry, will try not to do it again."

So I can tell you as a seller it's not always shilling when you see the incremental bids and the retractions.