View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Bryan,

I guess I missed that part of your question. The low numbers 1-20 will be found with the block lettering, and the rest with the slanted or italicized font. I have not seen any exceptions to that pattern and doubt there are any-- at most a later printing might surface that would have them all italicized, but I have not seen any and I've been looking a long time.

Now whether a low number can be found with both a small and large block back is an open question because block backs of either kind are scarce. Most trying to complete a m101 back run still have the Gimbels blocks on their want lists. Leon's Heritage auction just sold three for over $500 each, and two of those were graded "A", although beautiful (the lot also included a common high number as a throw-in to complete the trio of backs). I have confirmed fewer than a dozen block backs in total, with no player being duplicated. So hopefully the players you are targeting are numbered higher than 20, but if not, I'd be thrilled to have whatever block back I could find and not worry if the other version was out there too (of course we both know that's not how it works--once you find out about the other back you simply must have it)

Good luck on your quest.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-17-2015 at 04:39 PM.