View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

If you can stomach risk, PSA 10 rookie cards of future superstar HOFers. For example, some people think Jeter's SP RC will only gain in value as Jeter passes 3000 hits, and if he can break Rose's record, forget about it. However, if Jeter gets injured or slows down, you're screwed. I would probably also avoid stars with the steroids taint. Bonds with 7 MVP's is arguably one of the greatest players ever. However, nobody cares about his cards because of the taint. So, ARod's cards are iffy. And of course, if you bought Jeter RC's, and if he ever gets outed, you're screwed again.

I also like Jordan RC's. Even though he's been retired for years, everybody still talks about him. Even if you don't collect basketball cards, many, many collectors still want one Jordan RC in their collection. So, even though the supply even in high grades is more than pre-war, there's still a strong demand.

I collect mostly pre-war, so I think the investment quality for these cards are probably going to be mostly cyclical as others have said. I did read an article recently that basically compared a bucket of iconic prewar cards to the stock market, and the analysis was that the increase in value of the cards easily beat the market. Can't seem to find that article, however.