Thread: A photo mystery
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Archive

Default A photo mystery

First off, thank you to any and all who offer this rookie some help. Somewhat of a mystery to me, but probably not for you guys.

I bought a 1939 World series photo two years ago and it appears to me to be an original photo. So recently I'm cruising Ebay and I notice an auction for another original 1939 World Series photo of the exact same shot. My photo measures 8" x 10" while the Ebay seller describes their photo as measuring 9" x 7".

Given the dimensions of the photos, the images are slightly different as you will see by the two photos below. One interesting aspect is that slightly above DiMaggio's cap and slightly below Crosetti's feet faint red lines appear in the exact location of which the other photo is cropped. After looking at my scan, I see the red line can't be seen above DiMaggio's cap, but is visible just above Lombardi's mask in the dirt.

I will post front/back photos below so you can see what all is involved here.

Being a photo rookie, I have a few questions as well.

Are both of these photos original or would either be considered a Type I? Given the fact that mine has column measurements, would mine be the original and the other photo be a transmitted version given that it has a reproduction credit stamp, along with "From Chicago" on the slug? Not looking to sell my photo, just needing some clarification.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jantz

(My 39 WS photo is first and the Ebay photo following.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS photo 1 001.jpg (71.5 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg WS photo 2 001.jpg (66.2 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg WS photo 3.jpg (66.9 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg WS photo 4.jpg (68.6 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg WS photo 5.jpg (72.8 KB, 553 views)