View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default Question about high end graded cards being trimmed

Posted By: Joann

I still don't know about all of the trimming yet. People say it's a matter of QC or whatever at the grading companies. I'm in QC, and a failure rate of 30+ percent is just about impossible. Even something like 10% is hard to imagine. It still seems to me like this is a lot of trimmed edges that are getting by the graders, and I am not convinced that more of the cards are unaltered than we think.

I take with great respect the responses that have said that equipment to do high-quality trimming is not that hard to find. But it still seems like a lot to miss. Maybe if the graders are heavily weighing the card size into the equation - saying that if it is larger than minimum size it is presumptively not trimmed unless there is a horrible wave or miscut. Then I could maybe see it. But if they are looking at each edge for evidence of trimming even if the card is larger than minimum size, it's hard to imagine there are so many trimmed edges and they are simply being missed.

Just my opinion. It doesn't make statistical sense that so many of these cards are both trimmed and missed. But I'll also tell you that I have the major heebie-jeebies lately about any T206 that looks like it has small borders, especially T/B, slabbed or not.

Joann