View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:15 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default For hardcore Lou Gehrig nerds only

I've mentioned to a few board members some pieces I acquired in the most recent Christie's baseball sale. I bought a collection of documents that were from the files of Milton "Mickey" Eisenberg, who was Lou's and later Eleanor's personal lawyer for many years. It was advertised as roughly 17 pieces, and most post Lou's death. I figured with Christie's one never knows what the heck they are going to sell you so I took a shot. Mostly mundane stuff after Lou's passing but one very cool piece tucked away folded up that no one probably even looked at.

It's a three page statement in Lou's voice from late 1940, a few months before he died, about his lawsuit against the NY Daily News, where he sued them for suggesting that his disease was contagious and possibly why the entire Yankee team was playing so terribly. A truly grotesque example of irresponsible sports writing. To this day people write about terrible it was that Gehrig had to endure this during the final stages of his life.

The statement (below) is unsigned. It's Lou recounting the story of the Daily News editor coming to the Gehrig house to apologize. Some amazing detail and clearly in Lou's voice. My suspicion is that Lou dictated to someone in Eisenberg's office who dutifully transcribed it. I guess possibly Eleanor typed if for him. Seems very unlikely that Lou was typing letters this deep into his illness.

In any event, pretty amazing historical document I believe. I hope it's readable but likely will need to expand it a bit.

If you want to know more about the whole Daily News incident see link below.

http://baseballegg.com/2020/09/08/th...m-the-yankees/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1032.jpg (65.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1031.jpg (55.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1030.jpg (40.6 KB, 263 views)