View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Default T5 Jackson - $47,853 vs. $182,425

Posted By: leon

First off, obviously, I am no lawyer so what I say might not make legal sense but I want to go ahead and make a post concerning some thoughts. I have had numerous conversations with Brian Drent the last few days. He has no idea I am posting this. I am convinced he thought this was a uniquely known card when selling it. I am not sure of the due diligence put into the investigation of the rarity of the T5. I do believe there was a buyer for the card that is not totally inside our niche. I believe he is a card collector but maybe is working his way back in time, as far as collecting, as so many card collectors do. I don't believe there was any fraud committed. There is obviously a motive to sell something for more money (higher fees). So let's say he thought the card would bring 50k, which is an approximate value, and obviously about where the next one ended WITHOUT all of the bidders. SO there was an extra 100k. Nowadays consignors with high end material know that consignment fees can be all but waived (and with really nice stuff like this waived altogether). Let's assume there were no sellers fees. The extra 100k in price netted the auction about 15k. IS that motive enough to ruin your reputation, business, and career? I don't think so. One could argue that dumber stuff has been done but I don't think that it would be worth it to try to make an extra 15k. Also, for the record how many of us have paid way more than we should have for something? And 100k to one person might be like 1k to another. As for taking all of this to court and proving anything, with the price of those darn lawyers, the card price might be the lowest ticket item vis a vis the attorney invoices.