View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You answered your own question. Also, How about the dozens of shady auctions, reprints, fraud and so forth on ebay? Of course auction houses aren't perfect but you don't see the amount of issues you do on ebay, not even remotely close imo. That being said I still like ebay, even with it's pimples.
I buy plenty of stuff off ebay, AND through the auction houses - in both cases you have to dig around for the deals.

I find it interesting that some are complaining about auction house prices, and comparing them to ebay prices. I hesitate to say this, but...

...are you guys just really cheap? The items that go cheap on ebay are generally either BIN accidents (seller didn't know he could sell for more), or straight auctions with no reserves, and are almost always single cards, and are generally run-of-the-mill cards that most advanced collectors couldn't care less about. I see people complain here about the high ebay BIN's, and how they yearn for the good old days when you could see lots of straight auctions, but...

...those days are gone, and I think it's your fault. The new 'market value' is what you pay for singles from auctions like Huggins and Scott and the high BIN's on ebay (generally lowered by the 'make offer' prices and the offline email deals). The straight auctions for highly desirable cards might get up there, but rarely does anything else. By refusing to bid straight ebay auctions up to these 'market value' prices, you have effectively killed the ebay auctions for decent cards. I suspect the ones that go for high amounts in straight auctions are shilled up.

Sellers can sell their cards for what they want, using auction houses and high BIN's, so they have no need for the 'take it up the @ss' ebay auctions.

Okay, now slaughter me.