View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
LOL, thanks, I can't speak for the others, but at the least, I'm no smarter than the next collector. And I've got boxes full of stuff I thought had loads of potential to prove that.
Not to mention the boxes not full of stuff I should have bought but didn't

I used to look for players I thought had a shot at some career milestones but weren't getting any PR. Like Johnny Ray - Not much for average, but he was on track for 3000 hits if he had a long enough career. Then Japan made him a great offer and that was that. 1502 hits in 10 years, with a .290 average and not much power.........At least I didn't pay much at all for the ones I found and kept.

Steve B
I read this and as a 38 year-old, I had to check that this was the dude that played for the Pirates. The fact that that's lodged somewhere in my brain from childhood from watching Cubs games is scary. Johnny Ray -- I can honestly say I would have never thought of him ever again in my life, had you not mentioned him.

Given my age, Griffey was very transformative to my baseball collecting and watching. So, while I collect zero Mantle stuff, I think this card is really cool.