View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Nancy Reagan said "Just say no." How's that working out?
Aside from forums like this what can be done to stop people from buying forgeries?

Forums like this are probably the best chance. And being successful at squashing this stuff is probably not going to happen.

Education about what someone collects is the key, and places like this are probably the best place to get it for most of us. I'm sort of interested, and have a few autographs I feel confident in, but all fairly cheap stuff. I test myself against the questions here, and on some of the more popular ones I'm only at maybe 50% after a few years. Not good enough for me to spend real money on.

A serious reduction in demand overall wouldn't be good for anyone, (except may be me since everything would be cheap) That's why there's no marketing campaign.
Imagine a tv ad starting out showing a bunch of nice looking autographed items, while the voiceover says " Autographs, they can be really great, and display well. They're a nice personal connection to the player in some ways... but you know what? All the nice looking stuff we've just shown along with nearly every autograph you'll see is complete rubbish! Just look at them, they're awful. Displaying them is basically displaying you're stupidity and gullibility, why would you do that.... spend a few years learning stuff before you buy pretty junk, please?"

Yeah, that would go over well...…