View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Kevin Saucier - Adding Value

Posted By: JimB

Personally, I have not seen a substantial reason to trust Kevin Saucier's opinion above SGC's. He seems to be a reasonably competent *card doctor*, though we do not know the limits of his abilities in that regard. But that does not necessarily mean that he is going to be any better at detecting alterations than the graders at SGC or PSA. They get trained to look for the same things he knows about. He could not even get a job with PSA or GAI, correct? He claims to have gotten some types of alterations past the grading companies (though I do not remember seeing any examples). But if these sorts of alterations are undetectable, there is no reason to think he would catch them either if performed by somebody else. Getting something by the graders does not equate with an ability to detect alteration. I do not see the advantage of complicating the situation here.

Assuming there needs to be some sort of reform, perhaps a better idea would be to have an independent review of the grading companies executed by sending in X number of altered cards (mixed in with unaltered cards) to each grading company periodically. The same cards would be sent to the all the major grading companies and then the results would be compared and made public. But adding another layer of "authentication" seems tedious and unnecessarily complicated to me, whether it is done by Kevin or anybody else.
JimB