View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
It's my understanding that high numbers (i.e. the last series or two of a set) came out at the end of the baseball season, usually around September. Unlike the first series coming out in the spring with much adolescent anticipation, by September kids had moved onto other things, like the new school year, and more or less given up on cards for the year. Card companies, in turn, caught on to this trend and began making fewer cards for these series' instead of making a bunch that they wouldn't end up selling.
I guess, tbh, I'm really noticing it in the late 60's Topps sets. Like, I need a '67 Ty Cline and they routingly sell for $20; it's a high number, I get it. Yet, when I check out eBay, and I know it's only one site, but if I go to look up a Dave Nicholson #113 in the same set, over the last three months nearly half have been sold at lest than 10% compared to the Cline. I know this looks like an isolated incident, but it's something I've been noticing about quite a few high numbers I've been eyeing over the last 6 months.

Basically, what I'm saying is that does the idea of "rare high number" effect the price to the point where it skews the reality that maybe the card really isn't that rare. Am I saying that right?