View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 09:38 AM

Default 1936 Sport Stamp Conundrum - Ebay Guarantee

Interesting event just happened last week when I sold a graded Sport Stamp. It was graded by SGC a 1.5. Here's the timeline:

- Sold on Saturday Jan 20.

- Shipped on Tuesday Jan 23 (21st was Sunday and 22d postal was closed)

- Received at authenticator on Jan 24.

- Shipped to buyer from authenticator on Friday Jan 26.

- Item delivered yesterday, Jan 30.

The timeline isn't bad at all. However, on Friday Jan 26 I received the following email notification from Ebay. Here is an extract:

"We wanted to let you know that your item is on the way to your buyer, but unfortunately we can’t provide our Authenticity Guarantee. The item was miscategorized in your listing and is therefore ineligible.

This may be disappointing for your buyer, so if you have similar listings, we recommend you update the item details to ensure this doesn’t happen again. In the meantime, we’ll notify them to let them know their order is on the way."

I listed the Sport Stamp under the sports cards category, as this is how I view the Sport Stamp. I believe this is the proper category and would receive more views than it would if it were listed in a different category.

Here are the issues I have.

1. I believe it to be a sports card.

2. There was no reason to send it to an authenticator if it had been authenticated by a reputable company.

3. It caused an unneeded delay and expense for no sound, apparent reason.

4. With whom does the liability lie if it is lost, or damaged, between the authenticator and the customer. I insured the card on my end.

5. How will the customer view the transaction.

Hopefully all ends well, since it has now been delivered. Under what category is the proper one for a 1936 Sports Stamp?

I would be interested in anyone's input, since I know several members own Sport Stamps. Thanks.