View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
If you go go with poly, I think you'd want to use one with an oil base (not water) to be compatible with the Danish oil. And make sure the poly dries well (I'd think a week) before use. But are you sure you even need anything other than the oil already on there?
Thanks guys. You make a good point. The reason I considered adding poly was that I was able to easily 'wipe' off ball-marks (and other marks) from two similar bats (I have 3) that had their original finish, using a Magic Eraser with denatured alcohol. By rubbing gently, the marks came off but it was not so abrasive as to go noticeably into the finish. In fact, the bats looked almost new when done.

For this bat I rubbed harder with the Magic Eraser, as it was very scuffed up - through the finish in places - the goal being to actually remove the finish so that the Danish oil would take and improve the appearance. To get it back to a state where future batting cage marks could be rubbed off, I felt like I needed to re-create a hard finish.