View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
When I saw that Mathewson Sovereign 460 in the SCP auction it immediately reminded me of a fake T206 Young (bare hand) that I came across late last year. In both cases the black rectangular line just inside the white border seemed just a little bit too thick and almost wavy in parts.

Anyway, I bought the T206 Young in an Ebay auction back in November. The seller mentioned that PSA had returned it as altered (the seller also enclosed the PSA rejection flip) and offered a money back guarantee. I assumed (hoped) that the alteration was merely trimming, which doesn't really bother me. When I received the card I immediately realized that something was "off" about it. The aforementioned black line was the first tip off, but the most telling feature was that when I ran my finger over the surface of the card, the black line was actually raised from the surface. T206s shouldn't have varying altitudes within the same card. In three decades of collecting T206s I'd never encountered that, so I knew it was fake. The EPDG back, however, was real. Major Shenanigans. Here's the card:
Is it possible that they removed only the front image (black box and inward, only) from a real EPDG-backed card, scraped the image off, then glued a real Cy Young image into the hole and 'cleaned up', as opposed to re-backing the card?