Thread: Wirephotos
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: Mike

Photo collectors tend to prefer players in their uniforms. They also bring higher prices.. For obvious reasons. One area that I have gotten into is family photos, casual photos etc. For instance someone is at restraunt or bar, and bump into Jimmie Foxx and family. The Foxx family is kind enough to let the stranger take their picture. The stranger then goes home, gets the photo developed. And has a keepsake. That is until 70 years later, when the surviving relatives come across it, and start to see dollar signs. I have been able to come across the most interesting photos (originals) of Foxx and his kids, sitting around the Christmas tree, Jimmie Bowling, lifting weights, hunting, fishing, having a few cocktails, doing broadcasting for CBS radio after his retirement, golfing with babe, dancing with "woman". I find casual shots fascinating. It is a peek into someones life. We all know what Jimmie looked like, while he was playing first, but it is fun to see him relaxing with Lefty, and friends. Someone took a picture of him striking out while playing a game in the Phillipines. These are all original photos, not wire, or news photos. Such as some pictures I took of Puckett at an autograph signing, while with my son. Not worth much, but a great keep sake. I love the one of a kind fun, casual shots. It is amazing what shows up on E bay. Keep 'em coming folks !! I have about 70 of them as of right now. I also have a lot of originals purchased from Gaynor, Yee, etc. etc. They are great hanging on the wall.