View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 07:42 AM
Bill Boyd

This thread leads me two a second question, which may have caused a little more pressure in the era of BEFORE TV.
Before TV, my question is:
Was there more of a frenzied fan atmosphere, around the players?

The only visual contact the fans had with the players, was actually going to the games. Yes there was newspapers and magazine photos, and they could get some description and personal habits of the players through radio play by play and interviews. But without that visual, to go along with the radio information the fans received from the announcers, these images may have been built up, in their own minds, at a higher level.
We get to see the players on TV nowadays, so when we go to the games, seeing the stars in action, is sort of expected. Still admired, but nothing we have not seen before.
Before TV, going to the games, many fans were getting their first glimpse of their heroes in action. And it may have taken going to several games before they got to see their favorite player, hit that home run, or go 3 for 4 and drive in several runs.
I just think, before TV, the fans were more excited, especially, when coming in contact with some of the players. That is my opinion, what is yours?