Thread: S74 silks
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Bob C.

I'd have to agree with Tyler on this. Even though the Mathewson is a white version silk without the backing, I'd be really surprised to find anyone letting one go for $40-$50, let alone anyone not offering to pay upwards of $100 or more for one.

Also, the valuation on the colored silks could be a little off as well depending on the severity of the fraying and how much, if any, of the tobacco brand and factory information has disappeared from the silk. Because of the odd angle for the silks pictured, it is a little hard to tell exactly how much and severe some of the fraying is on the colored silks. Also, there are some silk colors that are much tougher and harder to find, and some collectors are known to pay a slight premium for such more difficult colors. For example, the bright red colored silk is a rarer color version to come across.

When you collect the colored version silks, you'd ideally like to have at both the top and bottom the slight discoloration that you can see when looking at the bottom border of the Rowan silk. I believe this was due to some kind of heat seal or other type of seal that was applied when the silks were originally cut to keep them from fraying. You'll notice that the bottom border of the Rowan silk shows the entire tobacco brand name, with plenty of space after it, and what appears to be very little, if any fraying at all. Colored silks with top AND bottom borders like that are what you would consider ideal as a silk collector, and such commons could go for 2 or 3 times what Ed mentioned.