View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default An Offshoot of First Amendment- The Freedom to Post

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Unused tickets are unappealing to me because they probably were just leftover unsold tickets.

Dan, that might be true if the subject is tickets from around the 1980s to the present, especially when you see a hoard of a few hundred offered. I don't think that's a fair conclusion to draw for truly vintage tickets. I just went and looked at all of the unused tickets in my collection from the 1930s, '40s and '50s, and I'd bet the house that each one was in fact sold but not used by the buyer. In fact, a few times I've come across full tickets inside a program with two stubs, all from the same game. The conclusion I draw from that is the initial owner bought four tickets and used only two.

The part of Peter's post that I find annoying -- aside from the ridiculous reference to the First Amendment -- is the blanket statement that "unused tickets are normally obtained through backdoor channels" without him qualifying it in any way or offering any basis for how he came to that conclusion. I realize that this is just Peter being Peter, stating something as fact without putting much thought into it, only to backtrack later, smiley face ready at the keyboard, when someone calls him on it. But it still bugs me because I expect people to put more thought into what they write, especially at a venue such as this.

But at least there was no bad/incorrect/possibly damaging advice on the law dispensed.