View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Mr. Feller

Back when I was driving a truck for United Van Lines to pay for culinary school, I always loved to stop off in in Iowa (Van Meter) and take a quick walk through the Bob Feller museum. It was one of the little things that kept me going as I spent 3 years in a 3.5X6 box. I was never lucky enough to see him there, but the folks would always talked about how great he was to talk with in the place. It had his high school jersey and a bunch of super great stuff from before he was the man.

I was lucky enough to talk to him at some shows back in the 80's and 90's, but never got an autograph (from anyone else either). The guys would always love it when me and dad would stand in line and pay a few bucks and never wanted anything signed. We just wanted to talk to folks for a couple minutes.

Mr. Feller is one of the finest ever, both on the field and off, as far as my opinion goes. Honestly, he is one of the top few folks that I have ever met personally, to set foot on the diamond. He is a great person, not just a fine ball player.

If he has a way to ever see the site, I would like to wish a most heartfelt thanks to the guy that has made a few days truely great for me over a span of many years. A ten or twelve year old really has a sense of knowing when someone is really happy to see them or when they are just collecting thier $. Then years down the road, when I would be burnt out from hauling loads and stress, to take a walk though his place in Van Meter was very grounding. I was able to think of the good days of my youth and see the light at the end of the tunnel (or the road).

I could go on for a very long time, so will stop short here,
Bob