View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I haven't completed many sets, and only one older than 74.

The 48 Bowmans were fun, small set, and at the time possible on a tight budget if you didn't care at all about condition. (The Musial I had cost .50 with paper loss, and the Berra had been partly colorized nice yellow uniform!)
I sold it to fund some of a ski trip, and sort of wish I hadn't.

74 was fun to finally finish. I collected it when new, got close during the 80's, and finally bought the last one I needed around 1994 or so.

the 82s were pretty dull, since I just ordered them from a dealer when they came out.

I actually had fun putting together the first series of 2011 Topps.

Steve B
We're in about the same boat. I've slowly taken on '48 Bowman, as far as the key cards go, a cheap, low-low-grade Musial is still avoiding me...

Had a lot of fun with '74. I didn't collect them when they came out though..And went for the master set. The Traded portion was the easiest to finish. The Washinton variations were pretty much the last ones I needed..So far, it's actually the ONLY set that was able to keep my focus long enough to finish(aside from the sets I bought)..

Anything 80 or newer, I bought complete. Except '82 and '83. I found cheap sets(-the Ripken and -the Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn) since I already had doubles of those anyway...

On the Pre-war side. The '41 double plays have a very similar appeal to me as the '48 Bowman. Small set, a few big name rookies, affordable, and often come up in low-grade(since you often find them separated)..A separated Williams/Cronin card cost me a total of $5..

I'll also jump on the bandwagon with darkhorse, the MP & Co's are fun...Boring cards, but a fun set...I've never made an attempt to complete, but get excited everytime I find one cheap..

Last edited by novakjr; 02-25-2012 at 08:13 AM.