View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 07:52 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I wonder if the hitters in these spots have mixed feelings at all after the fact. It's not like you become famous or even remembered for breaking up a perfect game. And the basehit you get could be in a 9-0 game where your team is not coming back. And you have to realize that you are denying a fellow player baseball immortality (and possibly hall of fame, lots of money, a new inflated contract, millions in promotional stuff, etc.) for busting it. I know the short answer is these guys are all fierce competitors and basically are trained to suceed and all that . . . .but I wonder if sometimes you don't feel a bit guilty of denying someone their moment in the sun and think back that maybe you wished it worked out a little differently. Maybe a hard hit ball in the gap that someone runs down instead.
Other than being remembered for throwing one, a pitcher may get some promotional opportunities, but I don't think a perfect game gets you any of the other things you mentioned. Don Larsen isn't getting into the Hall of Fame and no one's getting a big contract for a perfect game.