Thread: SCP winners
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Hey, Scott! That letter was sent to my old neighborhood, but four years before I was born. Sam was still signing, though, when we wrote to him twenty years later.
He seemed to be a prolific signer - there are still index cards and art-vue HOF plaques to be had. I have had two art-vue cards. But I have had a tough time finding a letter, which is what I collect. From the text in this one, it seems like he was more than willing to write back to fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nice Crawford Letter on your end as well!

A very underrated HOFer, it would seem... perhaps overshadowed by Cobb for much of his career. Great pickup, finding a full Letter as opposed to a Cut or Index Card.... nice!

Would also love to see images of those Astros Jackets, if you still have 'em
Thanks Mark. From Larry Ritter's description of him in 'Glory of Their Times', it sounds like most people didn't know him, even in 1961, only 44 years after his playing days - he would hand out signed HOF cards and tell people who he was. It would be like a HOF'er whose career ended in 1970, being forgotten by today by most people. Perhaps like McCovey being overshadowed by Mays?

Regarding the jackets, one was a bright orange 1970's official team jacket, but not game-used. It was just too small to wear in public, so I sold it. The other was a 1990's game-worn by coach Tom McCraw. It was too huge, so I gave it to my brother. Next one I find should be a perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Nice pick-up, Scott! I was planning to bid on this one myself as it was saved in my watchlist.
Thanks for abandoning your plan