View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Hey Carlton.......I understand you keeping the hammer price to yourself and I definitely respect that. My question is, as I've found myself in your situation before, did you have a high dollar figure in mind before the bidding began that you were willing to spend? Did you have to adust your figure 'on the fly' during the bidding? Obviously, you were hoping you could have bought the lot for less. Just wondering. Thanks.....Matt
Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation...glad you enjoyed the journey...

Matt...No I didn't have a high dollar figure in mind beforehand...I did it on the fly...though I did have an approximate amount in the back of my mind I could afford...fortunately the bidding stopped before it got there...The bidding escalation wasn't a complete surprise because of the quality of the lot and unpredictable nature of auctions...But the put you back in your seat velocity did catch me a little off guard...

A very interesting related thing happened the following Saturday after the auction...I was in a booth at the Sacramento Antiquarian Book Fair buying something. A dealer from the bay area I've known about thirty years who deals mostly in high end western ephemera was in the booth talking to the owner. He asked me if I was the one who got the Stanford find...He said the under bidder, who I'd never heard of, was a customer of his...Essentially he said the guy has money and just likes great stuff...said the guy took some satisfaction in that he made me pay for it...Which of course is the most hackneyed response of under bidders the world over...I'm kind of surprised he didn't introduce himself or speak to me afterwards...

The beauty of collecting thirty years is...when you spot something like this...you don’t need to ask anyone’s opinion...I wouldn't be surprised if it's the greatest find of Stanford football memorabilia ever made...Once I get time to research, photograph and catalog everything I'll be better able to access it...It'll make a great feature for my site...

Below a few extra shots I took of the day...

photo L1_zpsrc2ngdju.jpg
 photo L2_zpswanxrneg.jpg
 photo L3_zpsfbajagjb.jpg
 photo L4_zps39dnpzsi.jpg

photo 20170903_143127_zpsevnnly6i.jpg

photo 20170906_133455_zps9eyt8ii5.jpg

photo 20170906_133552_zpshkyyx7ui.jpg

photo 20170906_134103_zpsbu0fskcy.jpg

photo 20170906_134054_zps0zrgk0cn.jpg

photo Waiting_zpsbhn390md.jpg

photo 20170906_133807_zpskhypr6ht.jpg

photo 20170906_155159_zpsjrahmffg.jpg

photo pad thai celebration_zpsdbrjvtef.jpg

photo 20170906_175542_zpsmvqynomf.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-26-2017 at 04:26 AM.