Thread: August Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Great item for me!

I have to bore most of you with background information so you can appreciate how excited I was about this. The Pittsburgh Post gazette has been holding annual dinners in Pittsburgh for I believe about 60+ years. Each year they honor a local sports personality (usually A baseball, hockey or football player). They issue a program which is distributed to the attendees and usually features an image of the honored player. As it is a regional dinner, the suspected quantities that have been printed in the past is very small. The number that survive even smaller.

I collect Roberto Clemente. Clemente was featured on 3 of the programs - 1962, 1967, 1972. The 1967 program has been the "easiest" of the 3 to find, followed by the '72. The 1962 program I have only ever seen twice in 25+ years of collecting. I bought a run of the programs a few years ago and included with a number of them were ticket stubs to the dinner! Really cool accompanying items. The '62 Clemente in the collection was one that had a stub - I was blown away as I had never before or since seen stubs from the dinner.

I happened to be browsing ebay the other night and found an item that was freshly listed with a bin of 14.99. I was extremely excited to be able to grab it. See photo below. Thanks for your patience with the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (76.3 KB, 191 views)