View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I'm trying to make sense of this as well. Here's how I would paraphrase:

Some dude amassed a million dollar collection, and another dude bought this million dollar collection, but surprisingly, neither buyer nor seller "knows crap." The OP, whose knowledge of cards must surpass that of buyer or seller, sees an arbitrage opportunity and is so excited about said opportunity, he must preemptively announce it to fellow collectors. Half of said collectors are confused or otherwise put off by this announcement; the other half are salivating for the chance at some exciting pick-ups.
Well said. Part of the confusion for me at least, is if said million-dollar-collection is indeed real AND worth a million dollars, why in the world would someone with that kind of money throw it away without any sort of knowledge on the subject matter he/she is purchasing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Just realized upon a careful re-reading that the guy who sold the stuff AND the guy who bought the stuff BOTH don't know crap. If the attempted buyer from the guy who doesn't know crap likewise doesn't know crap this could get really crazy in a hurry.

Awaiting an update. Presumably it shouldn't take too many more days for the buyer who doesn't know crap (well, knows a lot about somethings) to locate the horde of 1000s of T206s he just bought.
I'm going to pop some popcorn in case it does get crazy, which is presumably looks like it will. I mean how do you have thousands of T206s and not know where they are in the collection you recently purchased? I understand those cards are smaller, but in this mass quantity they could suffocate someone.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame