Thread: July Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Congrats Scott! I had no idea you'd been at your quest for 45 years. How hard was it to locate tickets before ebay and the internet? Must have been nearly impossible.

This is stuff I have picked up recently, mostly this month (I got most of this stuff in Oregon at antique malls while I was on vacation)

The autographed balls are 1948 Detroit Tigers team, 1953 Seattle Rainiers team, Single signed Casey Stengel. There are 4 Wilson Autograph Series Nelson Fox with 2 of them still sealed (this ball must be a lot harder to find than the other Wilson auto series balls as I can find nothing in my internet searches), a Colavito Hartland (working on a "found in the wild only" set. I can never find them with the bat though), Drysdale mini-bat, Lincoln vs Philadelphia A's exhibition game ticket and an ink blotter featuring Bronko Nagurski from 1937.
Hi Dan,
Finding things was much harder, and trading was much more common than dollars changing hands. I used "wanted to buy" boards in local baseball card stores for leads.
Phone calls and letters were the way that most transactions took place based on networking at shows, answering ads in SCD, etc.
The internet has really helped the search, but I still find a lot of my tickets just through general networking with other collectors.