View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
No way the Bond Bread will surpass the Leaf. Yes, it's his true rookie, but it's such an obscure set that collectors won't think Bond Bread when they think of a Robinson rookie. 1952 Topps is not Mantle's rookie, but it will always be his most popular. Same with Leaf vs Bond Bread.

Also I think his 1949 Bowman will pick up value since more and more are catching on to the fact that the 1948 Leaf is most likely from 1949.
You might want to take a look at Ty Cobb's various "obscure" (or shall we say ultra-rare?) postcard rookies, as well, of course, as the Babe's 1914 Baltimore News schedule card. The latter was extremely "obscure" in the late '80's and well into the early nineties, while the former have been going up, shall we say, quite nicely in price ($4,000 for a 1907 Dietsche Fielding pose Cobb in 2011 and $15,000 in 2015, both in PSA 5, and as I recall, an even rarer than rare 1907 Stainless Steel Tube Cobb went for $24,000 about a year ago). Demand usually comes around to rare and significant, "obscure" or otherwise. See what colonial coins and territorial gold coins have done since being "discovered" in the past 20 years or so.

In that regard, however, one might want to consider the much more elusive, so-called 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit Robinson--that is, if you can find one. Last time I looked there were about seven total graded, and I don't believe the count is going to change much. Most collectors like to have something ultra rare and desirable that others don't have. It's just the nature of the beast.

Happy collecting, in any form or manner you personally choose,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2018 at 06:21 PM.