View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default reprints on ebay

Posted By: T206Collector

...that I've shared a few times.

The reason raw cards are often cheaper than slabbed cards is because of the risk they hold. People are willing to pay more (yes, sometimes lots more) for the peace of mind that SGC provides that a 60/EX/5 is a card without creases and that it has not been trimmed. If you purchase a card on ebay that a seller describes a EX, you run a larger risk that the card has creases or is altered (or even fake) than if you spent the extra dough on the SGC graded card.

Can you make shrewd collection decisions with raw cards, thereby saving yourself hundreds or even thousands of dollars? Absolutely. But the best way to do that is by purchasing raw commons in VG or less condition and becoming intimately familiar with the type settings, borders, color distribution, paper quality, etc. And, mind you, even for the experts, whether a card has a wrinkle or a side shaved is not always apparent until you get the card home and give it a really good look over. Though I am not an expert, I have amassed 520 cards of the T206 set, and I usually feel pretty uncomfortable buying raw unless the card is in VG or worse condition and/or under $50.

In short, if you have to ask whether the Cobb that you shared in your first post was real, you are not ready to own an authentic Cobb yet. Do your homework before making a significant purchase like that -- even if you ultimately decide to purchase a Cobb card graded by SGC.