View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Thank you, Lee, for reviving this thread back in June (Post #70). I am assuming the question was regarding the Musial in your June auction. I won the card and I’ve read through this thread (and found a lot of useful information), but still have some questions if anybody can help.

I am assuming this card was part of the Collectors & Traders Sports Star Subjects 4 box set that was made by Aarco Playing Cards (Chicago). How do we know for sure the cards were made in ‘48/’49? Why couldn’t they have been made at the same time as the Bond Bread (’47)?

There is one eBay seller that seems to think so…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-W571-Aa...vip=true&rt=nc

I have a few interesting observations between the one on eBay and the one I purchased from Lee. (1) The card on eBay is cropped a little closer than mine. Look at the left and right borders and you can see more of the image on mine. (2) The name on his is more towards the bottom. The name on mins is a little higher up. (3) The back of his card appears to be more white (could be the scan though) and I thought I read that the white backs were considered reprints?? Is his a reprint? It sure looks like it shows its age (nearly 70 years old).

Is it possible there were multiple print runs and the formatting changed? If ours are both Sports Star Subjects, why the differences?

The one I purchased from Lee

The one on eBay

The back of mine

The back of the one on eBay

Here is a Bond Bread just to compare to. Note that even the Bond Bread is cropped more closely than mine.