View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I have bought maybe 1000 photos from the Sporting News archives and there were probably 25-30 that had "Conlon" circled on the back. I dont think save a few that the "Conlon" was written by Charles Conlon but I do know for a fact that at least the ones I have came that way direct from the Sporting News. I have no comment about the ones being talked about in this thread or the seller being mentioned, but I do know that a lot were marked Conlon that were not marked by him and as a result there were errors I am sure. Just my thoughts.
Rhys, here are a couple from that group that are authentic Conlons. In addition to what I mentioned in my previous post, other things to look for are the way the player's name was pencilled on the back - Conlon inscribed these. Regarding their coming that way from the Sporting News, that makes perfect sense - many Conlons either had a stamp and no inscription, or no identifying marks whatsoever. It's completely reasonable that very early on someone wrote 'Conlon Photo' on the ones that they 'thought' were Conlons.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:08 PM.