View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Guys:

I started off this reply wondering if the letter is referencing the HOF Busts. I was thinking this for a few reasons. However as you will read as you go along I have done a 180!

First the letter is dated in 1964. I recall seeing the HOF Busts for sale in the underground shops at Rockefeller center in the fall of 1963. These have generally and rightly so in my eyes been designated as being issued in 1963. See more below.

While the boxes do show the 20 busts that were issued it also says " and MANY MORE" which would indicate the company was planning on others perhaps Terry and Carey.

However, Terry was concerned about commercialization of HOF players except when the HOF itself was reaping the profits. Well, the boxes also say:

Mfg. by Made in U.S.A.
SPORTS ''HALL OF FAME," INC.
LYNBROOK, L.I., N.Y.

REG. U.S. Patent Office 1963

Official Licensee of Nat'l Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum

So, it appears the HOF WAS getting the royalties from the Busts. It makes no mention of the Commissioners Office.

It is possible that Terry was not informed that the HOF had licensed the busts.

I just now did a little research on Harry Lodmer and found this in one of Bob Lemke's blog:

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/06...-spin-off.html

Thus it seems the letter was indeed written by Terry referencing the HOF busts. And it also appears his concerns were unfounded and that the HOF was getting some form of payment.

BTW, as an aside, I am looking for some of these in unopened boxes in the original cellophane. Namely:

In box with Ruth photo on back w/cap: Cochrane, Cronin, Feller, Foxx, Greenberg, Hornsby, McGraw, Robinson, Sisler, Speaker

In box with Ruth photo on back w/o cap: Cochrane, Cronin, Hornsby, Johnson, Robinson, Sisler, Wagner.

PLMK if you can help.

Thanks,

Fred