Thread: Hofstra show
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Did anyone go this weekend? My first one at that venue and really thought it blew big time. 300 tables? Please. I walked through the entire show in 25 minutes. Nearly done with shows at this point. Which sucks, because I recall how excited I was to attend them.

I realize many of you live in parts of the country where there is no real chance of seeing a show good or bad, so maybe I shouldn’t be bitching.
Hi, Steve. Your post reminds me of the now defunct Gibraltar Trade Center shows in Mount Clemons and Taylor Michigan. We were thrilled in the early 1990's when they were advertised to and did have 500 tables. Being relative newbies at that time, we really didn't mind the ratio of current to vintage cards (hot current rookies were the "thing" then). As time went by, however, and the insert craze developed and grew ever stronger, we began to see less and less vintage, with just a few exceptions (one of which was a dealer who specialized in altered cards, apparently running them through a paper press/mill to enlarge them slightly, then cutting off the rough, worn corners and/or edges as they were cut back down to size, giving them the appearance of at least NrMt-Mt cards to the uninitiated--TPG pretty much took care of that situation). It wasn't too long afterwards that the vast majority of tables had only the new shiny stuff, and a vintage collector could walk through the entire show in 15-20 minutes. Ah, the good old days!

Best wishes,

Larry