View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well, happy to observe you aren't a flash in the pan about collecting and studying the (baseball) card collecting hobby. I don't know that a list of every hobby publication is even possible? There is no doubt both David and I (and many others) have some unique, or almost uniquely saved, publications. It would make it difficult to try to get them all. But it could be fun trying. And, if I am not mistaking, there was at least 1 1929 article, concerning collecting. George V and I have exchanged a lot of communications and information over the years. He is one of the best at studying Burdick and the early hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk View Post
That's interesting to hear how Chris Benjamin picked up the rights to CCB. His issue numbering seems to follow on from the volume and issue# pattern established by Burdick and Bray - but no idea whether there is a smooth progression of issues.

It would be great if we could join forces to compile some form of official list of the hobby journal issues and start to create some form of orderly catalog of the hobby publications - starting from that first Burdick issue, or even the [8] articles he wrote in Hobbies - see George Vrechek article on early articles:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/SCD_Hobbies.pdf

In the UK, I have catalogued (at least in my head!) most of the mainstream hobby publications, starting from a few that appeared in the 1930s. For example, the London Cigarette Card Company magazine (currently known as "Card Collectors News", but which has had several name changes over the years) has been issued continuously from October 1933, mostly monthly, and the January 2019 issue is number 892 (volume 80). There are a few mis-types and missing issues in many of these, based on loose editorship / illnesses / wartime intervention etc over the years - so the 'complete runs' are rarely smooth monthly / bi-monthly etc. So some care and research is required, to fill in all the gaps.

We would need a suitable location/place/forum to coordinate such an effort.

And it would also be great to then publish this, in due course, as a lasting record for similarly minded hobby history enthusiasts!

I'm new to net54baseball.com, but maybe we need a new thread for this to explore whether such an effort is possible .....