View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Personally, I can see some great opportunities for new business in sales tax exempt states. One could create a po box type mail center for buyers in high tax states and then mail the item to the subscriber tax free as this is address based.

Here in Detroit there are many businesses that provide po boxes to Canadians looking to avoid tax and excessive shipping on bought goods and no one bats an eye. I am sure the Canadian tax authorities hate it, but they advertise openly.

I know people are going to jump on this as working the system, but as I consider sales tax on used goods a sham in excess of skipping tax on on those goods...I couldn't care less.
I'm a Canadian using one of those PO boxes to save on the cost of shipping, but I can assure you that I still pay taxes on every item that is purchased. Items still go through the regular import process and taxes are calculated which I am responsible for.

The only real benefit is that the actual cost of shipping is lower - which is still great as I'm probably paying a third of what I used to haha.