View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Craig

Default A few more Mantles

A few more Mantles to hopefully make up for my earlier misunderstanding:

Feb 2, 1951 One of the earliest images of the Rookie in his pre-season workouts at Phoenix. Beaming with Joe D., notice that Mickey has written his name on the glove which was given to him by Frankie Crosseti during the two weeks he toured with the Yankees in the Fall of 1950. Type I photo by Wm. C. Greene.

1951 – Right field at YS. This Type I photo was taken a second or two before a photographer from another news agency shot the photo that forms the background for the 1956 Topps card (a Type III version of that photo appeared in the initial RMY auction).

A rare Type I photo of this famous image showing Mickey getting some air in Spring training as he prepares for the opening of 1952 season.

An early and rare photo of Mickey with Mel Allen. The focus gives the stadium a ghostly feel and provides a feeling of significance that the circumstances probably don’t warrant. In any case, a nice young image of the Mick.

1956 – Mickey about to unleash that magnificent power from the left side, Herbie Scharfman ready to capture it all, as usual and Ike in the stands watching his favorite ball player. The focal point for the photographer was Ike giving the “soft focus” image of Mickey an ethereal feel, which if you stare at it long enough provides an impression of movement.

1956 – My favorite on deck shot of Mickey, Type I with a telephoto lens by Arthur Rickerby – United Press.

1956 – Beautiful Type I portrait during his triple crown year – the mark is not on the photo but a scar on Mickey’s forehead.

1956 – Rare Kodachrome 35 mm transparency of Mickey batting from the right side at YS by noted SI and Pulitzer Prize sports photographer Arthur Daley.

Craig

Last edited by Frozen in Time; 03-23-2014 at 12:29 PM.