Thread: T206 question
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Default T206 question

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey there,

I was fretting about the very same thing about 8 years ago.

Do both. The guys are right about buying the more expensive stuff first. Problem with that is that your card count grows slowly.

If you focus on buying commons first, then your number of cards grows quickly, but the total cost to "complete" will be more.

What I finally did was this: First, I tried to buy potential Hall of Famers before they made the Hall. I succeeded with a couple. Then I decided to fill out southern leagers, because they seemed underpriced. With those guys knocked out, I then got the few remaining normal minor leagers I lacked. I remember talking one day with a collector who lacked a couple of the impossible cards, he asked how I was doing on T206, and I responded that I had all of the minor leagers. He asked, "What about the Southern and Texas league players?" "Got 'em all," I replied, "They're minor league too, aren't they?"

After that, I'd buy both HoF and commons. I bought backwards through the alphabet, figuring most go the other way. My thinking is that there are more sets in progress where buyers hold the first of the alphabet, than there are sellers who sell alphabetically. I'm probably overthinking that, but it seemed like bidding was less fierce.

It is kinda neat when you get "half way". And when you have ALL of the southern leagers. And ALL of the minor leaguers. Getting to 400 was a milestone. Also the 90% mark. And I've finally passed 500, which is neat. I recall years ago where Mr. Lipset was going to sell some deceased collector's T206s for his wife, and the collector, who's name I can't recall, was known to the hobby. He had 493, I believe. And that was considered pretty good. Eventually you'll get to where you can lay in bed before you fall asleep, and rattle off the cards you lack. That is when you're getting close. And probably old, too!

It seems that eBay is a fair source for T206s, the problem is that a few years ago a buyer could find bargains there, while now it seems to have become a seller's market.

Good luck. BOTH is the answer, if you don't have a Cobb, get one or two. Try to get at least one of the big 3 pitchers. But keep getting commons, for the card count is reassuring.

With kind regards,

Frank.