View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Suggestion/Request for this board

Posted By: Joann

On the baseball cards side, one of the things that is constantly said by newbies and lurkers is that they learn so much from reading the board.

I don't know jack about memorabilia, but think it is cool as heck. Is there any way this board could have something like a weekly tutorial on some of the different types of memorabilia? What came when in terms of historical changes? What is valued by collectors for rarity, monetary value, historical vaue, etc? What makes it cool - to you and to the world?

Obviously, I think the equipment kind of comes to mind first. I know what a lemon peel ball is, but don't know the other kinds of baseballs from early days. And I have no clue at all what a ring bat is. Does that mean just that it has a ring of color about half way up?

After equipment there are all kinds of other things - tickets, advertising media, books, trophy/presentation pieces, heck - I probably am not intelligent enough here to name categories!

Anyways, as someone that is both fascinated and ignorant when it comes to memorabilia, I would just love to be able to learn from this forum. How cool to have a bats thread one week, books thread the next (or a few days later), and then gloves, etc etc etc. And maybe in a way that is more organized than the "pick it up as you go" on the baseball side, but also less structured than sites devoted to education (read: include why you love the pieces and post scan after scan!)

Just my thinking on it.

Joann

ETA "cards" to the first sentence, so it doesn't read "on the baseball side". Duh. We are all on the baseball side!