View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by unamuzd1 View Post
I think this is the only flaw I've seen in your approach so far.

You don't want your significant other to "get over" your passion, and you probably don't want to make it about the money (since, as you noted, your estimate will be low-end; prices on this set have steadily climbed, after all). These are little pieces of art and history; share them with her. Let her see your enthusiasm. Maybe she'll enjoy them. At the very least, she'll (hopefully) recognize that everyone has hobbies, and baseball cards are pretty harmless. And, in the case of t206, if you have to justify the spending, they're (a) very liquid, and (b) pretty steadily increasing in value, and not just for nice copies.

My wife really likes my t206s. Not as much as she likes her 1940 Play Balls, but she has her thing and I have mine.

Welcome to the addiction! And congrats on the engagement.
Thank you very much! She is actually very interested in the hobby; she doesn't collect herself but is very interested in gaining knowledge and learning about what I'm collecting. I shared the estimated expense to mess with her, but she's actually happy that I'm going after it. She likes the investment idea, and enjoys watching me collect. She actually went to the National with me this summer for 2 whole days, and enjoyed herself as much as a below-average-sports-fan-but-loves-her-then-boyfriend could.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame