View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Did someone trim my Sock? (Sockalexis, that is)

I will start off by saying I don't usually get to post on this side of the board, so I get excited when I finally pick up something really old and cool.

Last year, I was lucky enough to acquire a real Sockalexis post card for my Maine collection. I never thought I would get one of those. I sent it off to SGC (mostly for the protective case) and, I got a pretty good grade (SGC 30). Since the population is 1, I would say that I got the highest graded Sock in the world. Lol.

A month ago, I saw there was a guy selling a pile of postcards on ebay. In that pile was ANOTHER Sock post card. Except he didn't mention it. And it looked GOOD. Obviously, some others saw it too, because I paid up for it. Then the seller asked me if I was a Sockalexis fan after I won; which made me wonder why he didn't mention it in the listing. So that was weird.

The plan was to send it in, make sure it is legit, upgrade, and sell my old one.

But I got it in hand, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I actually became slightly alarmed because it looked too good. I sent it off to SGC immediately, and got good news, and bad news.
The good news is, it is authentic. The bad news is, they didn't grade it. So I emailed and asked. They replied and wanted to see it again.
So, I sent it off again, and just got it back today. There is a little note with it that says "TRM Top Edge". And it is still a grade of "A".

I have measured this thing six ways from Sunday, and for the life of me I cannot see it. Both cards are exactly 8.5 cm wide and 13.7 cm long. I even resorted to counting the shingles on the top of the barn (now my eyes kind of hurt).

Has anyone ever had any experience with card coming up short, but you think it is not? When the experts trim, is it impossible to tell?

In any event, I am really bummed, BUT this card is so awesome, I think this is the one I will end up keeping, and I suppose I will sell my other one.

One (or all?) of you guys once told me, buy the card, not the holder, so yeah, I get it. But my OCD is bugging the heck out of me. Well, I am off to measure it one more time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Socks together.JPG (70.4 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg Socks back together.JPG (47.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Socks A front.JPG (77.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Socks A back.JPG (49.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Socks 30 front.jpg (66.1 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Socks 30 back.JPG (48.6 KB, 259 views)