View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Without a photo of him in uniform, a mention of a team name or player roster, I'm coming to the conclusion that Corson made it up out of whole cloth. The papers I read from 1924 to 1931 don't have a Corson listed in any of the rosters.
I checked the most obvious date -1925. The teams listed in the standings for that year are - Mesa Jewels, (1st.B -Willegard), Miami Miners (1st B -Shires), Globe (1st B -Leonard), Glendale (no longer in league), Pheonix 1st B -Fleckenger) and Nogales (1st B Whipple).

The Arizona State League started in May of 1923 and what many of these papers are saying is that teams like the Yankees would visit teams in this league for exhibition play. For example in 1929, the Detroit Tigers went to Phoenix for spring training and play against ASL teams. In 1930 the Yankees appear to have held their Spring Training in San Antonio, Texas playing against trams of the Arizona-Texas League. Corson, if he played at all, may never have left the state as a spring training invitee.

There are other problems too. Corson gives no mention of his team. These teams and leagues and teams folded just as quickly as they started. It was a mess to follow what's happening in the papers with them. Reporting was iffy at best and photos of these players were "scratchy". I happened to find only two team photos and virtually no single player photos as of yet.

Also, individual player stats are Negro League -esk...mostly league standings but no batting averages. This stands out to me as to where Corson got his 350+ average from in 1925? ....The Copper League was also a candidate for Corson though it appears that league's hayday was more in the 1900's-1910's

There